#7 at WHGCC

This history of Wellington Hills Golf Course was originally written by Cathy Larsen for a school project. The article and notes were transcribed as written .

At one time all the land in the United States was owned by the government. In 1888 August Buthe homesteaded “the west 1/2 of the southwest 1/4 of section 35, township 27 north, range 5 east of west meridian, containing 80 acres more or less of Snohomish County.”

In the year 1891, August Buthe sold the property to Andrew O. Gremsath. Then years later, in 1901, Gremsath sold the property to Robert Maltby, who the town of Maltby is named after, who in turn sold it to Charles C. Paul, in April of the same year, for 5 dollars. In 1904 Charles C. Paul sold the property to Ella Thompson, who sold it 2 weeks later on February 11, 8:17 am for one dollar United States gold coin to Robertson Wellington Crim, whose family still owns it now.

The land had been logged with oxen. There were still some trees, but mostly brush and wide open fields. There were no houses or buildings, so they built a little shack to live in while they built their house (the house still stands today at the end of 7 green). They worked on the land every day, clearing it, little by little. They dug an 8 foot water well and cleared 16 acres for the farm. There were work cows, horses, mules, pigs, a chicken coop with chicken, and a vegetable garden. The rest of the 80 acres were split up in two sections for corn and hay. What corn they didn’t need they made silage out of which is feed for the cattle and horses. They had all kinds of berries and fruits, which they made jams and pies with. Such as goose berries, strawberries, raspberries, black berries, pears, peaches, prunes, plumbs, cherries and apples. Many of these trees are still here today. They had a potato patch which they called the alter grove, where our house now stands (that house is now used by the course maintenance person). They had about a dozen bee hives that they raised for honey. They used what they wanted and sold the rest. They also sold the eggs they did not need and the lumber to the lumber mills.

What transportation they had was a horse and buggy or the train at the bottom of the hill. They took the train to Bothell every Sunday to go to church and to Woodinville for supplies. The train still passes there now but does not stop. Some times they took the passenger boat down the slough to Seattle, for an all day outing.

In the year 1916 they got their telephone, and it was not until 1932 that they got their electricity. They had some neighbors, though not very many. If they were not working on their property, they were either visiting neighbors or entertaining guests. They ate their first meal in their new house on Christmas day of 1913 and moved in shortly thereafter.

They ran the farm for 15 years, then in 1929it was changed into a six hole golf course, and by 1930, on the 30th of May, it opened as a nine hole course. All of this was done by clearing off even more and planting trees. This took a period of two years, and the expansion went on for 10 years, growing and improving.

At first the golf course was kept up by using a team of horses to mow the fareways and the greens were weeded and mowed by hand. What was once the chicken coop, is not the club house, where food is served, green fees are paid, and where there are bedrooms and a living room for the owners to live.

They changed their way of life because there was no money in farming, and they found they didn’t like it. They named the golf course Wellington Hills, after the owner, Robert Wellington Crim.

On September 15, 1930, Robert Wellington Crim, leased the property to Lonnie Morris Crim and Grace Salisbury Crim, their son and daughter in law for 25 years. The property was leased for 20 dollars per month for the year 1930. For 1931 and 1932 it was leased for 30 dollars per month. For 1933 and every year after, during the term of the lease, the property was leased for 60 dollars per month. After the 25 year lease had run out the lessors had died so the lessees inherited it, and still own it now.

In 1958 they were forced to sell 3 acres of the property to the State Highway Department for the public use of roads. In 1962 4 acres were sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ronald W. Larsen, who are the owners grandchildren.

NOTES: These notes were attached to the written report. I’m assuming they were the notes she created from her research and used to create the final report.

The neighbors were always helping each other. Not only would they plow their own land but they would plow their friends land too. Whenever they needed a doctor, he would come from so far away that he would spend the night. His pay would be food, a bed and good friendly people to talk with.

My family Robertson Wellington Crim and Susan Alice Crim and their 3 children, Vernon, Owen and Lonnie did not move to their new property until 6 years after they bought it in 1910. When they did arrive the land had been logged.

During the years they ran the farm, 2 of their children, Vernon and Owen, left to start their own life, while their youngest son Lonnie, married Grace Salisbury in 1915, and stayed on to help run the farm. For this reason they inherited the land. They had 3 children, Robert, Bud, and Susan who now share in owning the land with Grace Crim. Since Lonnie Crim died in 1941. Grace Crim managed the golf course until 4 years ago in 1971, when she retired. Robert Crim, my grandfather, was the only one of her children, who stayed and made his life out of running the golf course. Since the retirement of Grace Crim, he has been the manager.

They ran the farm for 15 years. Then in 1929, after my great grandfather (Lonnie Crim) had taken a trip to Seattle to play golf with some friends, decided to use some of the cleared area of the arm to make 3 holes of golf. Later, deciding 3 holes were not enough, he added 3 more. The six holes were open to family and friends anytime they wanted to use them. After giving the idea some thought, and since farming was not paying off, he decided to add 3 more holes, making a full 9 hole course and opening to the public, on May 30th in 1930. All this was done by clearing off even more with a team of horses, smoothing out the ground, pulling out stumps, planting grass, and getting the right equipment for playing golf, and keeping up a golf course. This took a period of two years, and the expansion went on for ten years, growing and improving.